Hey! It’s a new year! Let’s hope those Mayans were wrong!
New Year, as a holiday, is quite possibly my least favorite day ever. Something about the whole having my apartment broken into and landing myself in the ER and police station thing really, you know, ruined it for me.
But, despite that, I do love the idea of new beginnings. The excuse to try and improve myself, and my life. Last year I made some great changes, I think. I was more physically active, ate better, tried to live a more eco-friendly and sustainable life. This year, I want to keep those goals, and add a few new ones, to boot.
- Start running again: we brought our treadmill for JS’s physical therapy (for vertigo) with us from San Diego, but it’s jammed way back in the garage. This week we’re going to move it into the basement and I want to use it several times a week. And also get outside and run whenever the weather isn’t TOO horrible. (Like tomorrow, when the high is 9 degrees? Not a day I want to get back into trail/street running.)
- Do some creative writing: any kind, for any purpose. A journal, a book draft, short stories, whatever. I may do another NYC Midnight contest, just as a push.
- Keep trying out new recipes: I miss some of the more diverse dining options we had in SoCal. Instead of whining about it, though (or, rather, instead of ONLY whining about it), I want to learn how to make tandoori chicken or massaman curry.
- Positivity: This works out to be many things. I want to have a more positive outlook in general, and keep my negative thoughts in check. I want to surround myself with positive people, people who are enjoyable to be around. And I want to be that type of person, too.
- Read More: I’m pretty impressed with my 75 books last year. This year I want to read 80.
- Photography: take pictures with my actual camera, not just my cell phone. This means I’ll actually have to get my camera cleaned, though. I still have sand in it from my last beach trip.
- Keep working on the house: we have a few rooms left to paint, and a few odds and ends to buy (most noteably: lamps. SO DARK.). We did a big push of house stuff, then cooled it when JS really got into the semmester. I don’t want to just leave it all as is and never feel like we really made it ours.
- Garden: I am sort of sad that we didn’t end up with one of the more flat yards of the other houses we had looked at, but still. We have a yard with more space than we could have ever imagined in San Diego. I want to plant stuff! Mostly I’m excited to try and grow some vegetables and herbs. I’ll start small, though, since I’ve never gardened before.
- Keep Teaching: I’ve really enjoyed the few online classes I’ve taught. I want to keep doing them, and maybe apply to other online schools, too. to broaden my experience base.
That’s it. Not terribly thrilling, nor innovative. But, still. I think they’re doable. Do you have any goals for the new year?